Saturday, August 11, 2007

Finishing Strong


A year ago my son competed in his first triathlon. Shortly there after, he began to bug his sister about doing one with him this summer. Amidst his begging and pleading she reminded him that she's always been "allergic to exercise"; but she finally committed to doing a short-course triathlon which was this past weekend.

Jake promised his sister that he would stay by her side the whole way and that they'd do this together. She reminded him of this promise several times these past two months as they each prepared.

Finally, race day arrived. Maggie looked at me and sighed, "What did I get myself into?" I assured her that she was prepared and that she could really do this. I wanted her to experience the success of completing something so significant in her life. I knew it would be difficult but I also knew she had the perseverence to accomplish it. Upon check-in for the competition they found out that Jake would be taking off in the first heat of swimmers and she wouldn't get to take off until the 3rd.

By the time Jake was done swimming the required 500 yards, Maggie was just beginning. He patiently waited in the transition area until she arrived, out of breath and tired. Together they took off for the 10 mile bike ride. When they returned from the bike portion it was obvious Maggie was struggling. She was exhausted but willingly began the 2.5 mile run.

As my husband and I anticipated their return, I focused my binoculars to the area where they would be returning. There was a bend in the road and then a straight path to the finish line. I finally saw them. Maggie's cheeks were bright red and sweat was running down a pained face. Jake was smiling and I could tell he was proud of his big sis. And then I noticed something that touched most watching. They were holding hands, running together to the finish line. The tears came easily as I marveled at not only their relationship but what they had accomplished together.

As I reflect on that final scene I compare it to what we get to do at Organized Audrey. We come alongside of others, encouraging and helping them achieve goals which they see as impossible. My employees have often remarked how blessed they are to work with the clients that cross our path. We see individuals completely turn around their lives by learning organizing skills and techniques to lead more peaceful lives. Truly it is a privilege. Those that experience the greatest successes are those that finish.

Here's to finishing strong,


No comments: