Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dare to Declutter

Summer time is often spent with family and friends. Time spent at barbeques, poolside or at the cabin are great memory-makers. Our family just returned from spending five days in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. This is a 1 million acre wilderness area located on the border between Minnesota and Canada.

Lakes and campsites are accessible by canoe only and portages are common. No glass or metal containers are allowed which means utilizing things such as dehydrated food. Any garbage must also be packed out.

Although I’m an experienced camper, I had never camped in a wilderness area as remote as the BWCA. Because our plans included two portages, it was important to pack light, with only the bare necessities.

In my world of plenty, I had to constantly ask myself if an item was really needed. When the packing was complete, I ended up taking only one pair of pants (which included zip-off shorts), two t-shirts, four pairs of socks and I’m not telling how many underwear!

However, there was one item I just couldn’t leave at home. Any guesses? Toilet paper! In reality, though, I was challenged in my thinking of what is truly necessary in my every day life. As an Organizing Consultant, you can imagine how this played into the business I operate.

I hope your summer is filled with making new memories. I know I have several new ones!

All my best,
Audrey

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It seems everyone has a garage that is cluttered. And always stays that way. It's amazing how many people can't even park a car in there. Check out this site

http://www.1stchoicegarage.com
they got lot's of ideas, on how to get your garage organized, and keep you organized in there as well.

Jonathan M

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat Clayton said...

As I learn to live in my very small space, I find more and more ways to organize. Thanks for your blog! I am sharing my experiences at:

http://pearlcabin.blogspot.com/